Saturday, August 31, 2013

Sometimes it rains.


This morning my little family and I were headed out the door to go on a hike, when suddenly out of nowhere, water started falling out of the sky. Hard. like someone just knocked over a bucket full of water on accident.  I was looking forward to today all week, so yes, I was disappointed, and so was the hubby.  There was no way I was going to let that toppled, over flowing bucket, falling from the sky ruin my family day.  So we decided to do a couple of things I have been wanting to do for a while...

We made play dough.. purple play dough.  I don't know if my rowdy little toddler has ever played with play dough before.. at least not to my forever fading memory... and I have always wanted to make it... at least I have been wanting to make it for the last year... we all sat in the middle of the kitchen floor making snakes and hand prints for two hours straight.  Though, I am pretty sure my nearly 30 yr old hubby had way more fun than my two year old.  Isn't that why most men have kids? So they can have play time too?  I don't know about you, but I am all about the nap time..

After mommy got tiered of cleaning up play dough messes, the hubby set up the play tent in the living room while I made paleo style pumpkin pancakes.  Probably not my favorite recipe, but they were still good.  For another two hours the house was full of loud giggles and random tickle fights.  We all huddled in the miniature sized tent and stayed in as long as we could stand it. (Well, until nap time, which has its own time slot in our house, for very good reasons of course..)

Today made me remember how precious life is, and how forgiving a family can be.  We as mommies are way too hard on ourselves.  We struggle with trying to be perfect.  The laundry has to be done on time, dishes have to be cleaned, dinner has to be healthy with plenty of green food, you have to be fit, or 'thin' for your own self esteem, we get mad if we accidentally yelled too much one day (mostly due to lack of sleep)...Which all of those things are great things to strive for and to accomplish... BUT.. if a day goes by (or several days) and something doesn't get done... or the husband has to eat left overs in the fridge instead of coming home to a hot meal... FORGIVE yourself...

We need to spend more time loving those that need it most.. and less time worrying about making everything around us perfect.  Life isn't perfect.. You can't control the rain, but time spent with those most precious to you.. now that's perfect.. ;)

I don't ever want a day to go by where I let the rain ruin what is most important to me: the angel faces I live with... so take a break, and go spend time with those you love the most!



No comments:

Post a Comment